Hair fall is one of the most common problems which one experiences in everyday life. However, some amount of hair loss is considered normal.
Hairs are composed of columns of dead, keratinized epidermal cells bonded together by extracellular proteins.
Stages of Hair Growth Cycle:
There are 3 stages through which each hair follicle goes through.
1) Growth Stage – Scalp hair is in the growth stage for 2 to 6 years. During this stage, cells of the hair matrix divide. These new cells are added to the base of the hair root and existing hairs are pushed upwards due to which the hair grows longer.
2) Regression Stage – This stage is for 2 to 3 weeks. During this stage, the cells of the hair matrix stop dividing; the hair follicle atrophies; and the hair stops growing.
3) Resting Stage – This stage remains for 3 months. During this stage, the hair stops growing and a new growth cycle begins after this stage.
Following the Resting Stage, a new hair begins to grow in the place of the old hair.
At any given point of time, about 85% of the scalp hairs are in the growth stage and remaining are in the resting stage.
Normal Hair Loss – In an adult, hair loss of about 70 to 100 hairs per day is considered to be normal and does not require any treatment.
Generally, hair loss is considered for treatment when the rate of hair loss increases suddenly even if it is in the normal range or when the hair loss is greater than 100 hairs per day.
A hair loss can be due to various reasons:
- Illness – The hair loss usually increases after any acute illness.
- Radiation therapy – The use of radiations in cancer treatments also leads to increased hair loss in cancer patients.
- Chemotherapy – Certain drugs used in the cancer treatment, to kill the cancer cells, adversely affect the healthy cells, particularly hairs, thereby increasing the hair loss. However, after chemotherapy, hair re-growth can be seen.
- Age – The hair loss generally increases with age and can lead to either male pattern or female pattern baldness.
- Genetics – A family history of baldness can lead to hair loss in certain individuals.
- Gender – Females are more prone to hair loss due to various hormonal changes during puberty, post-delivery, and during menopause.
- Severe emotional stress – Emotional trauma or stress affects the hypothalamus and can cause certain hormonal imbalance leading to a hair loss.
- Systemic illness – Hyper/Hypothyroidism and Kidney disorders, can cause hair loss. Certain skin conditions, such as Lichen Planopilaris and Psoriasis, can also cause an increase in hair fall.
- Rapid weight-loss diets that severely restrict calories or protein increase hair loss. Also, nutritional deficiencies of certain nutrients, such as iron and zinc can increase hair loss.
Homeopathy Treatment For Hair Fall
Hair loss, as it is a chronic problem, requires a constitutional treatment.
Homeopathy focuses on the root cause of the problem and helps in the treatment of hair loss.
A well-chosen homeopathic remedy helps in controlling the amount of hair fall. However, one must understand that baldness cannot be reversed.
Homeopathic medicines which are prepared from plant, mineral, and animal sources help in reducing the quantity of hair loss.
Homeopathic medicines are individualized, selected based on the individual case history of the patient, by taking into consideration the cause like hormonal imbalance, nutritional factor, emotional stress, the nature of the patient, and other factors which may be acting as a maintaining cause in the hair loss.
Duration Of The Treatment:
The initial improvement can be seen in 8 to 10 weeks. The treatment course depends on the patient and varies from case to case.
The duration of treatment depends on mainly:
- The severity of hair fall
- The extent of spread as in Alopecia areata.
- The duration of the Hair fall
- Associated systemic illnesses if any like Hyper/Hypothyroidism.
- The use of any chemical agents or medications, such as Steroids, Antihypertensive drugs, etc.
Conventional Treatment For Hair Fall:
Minoxidil. Minoxidil (Rogaine), and Finasteride are commonly prescribed for hair loss.
Diet for Hair Care:
Hair is an important accessory structure of the skin that protects the scalp from injury and sun’s rays. It also decreases the heat loss from the scalp.
A good nutritious diet along with exercise helps in maintaining the shine, health, and strength of hair.
- As hair is mainly made up of proteins, a protein diet that includes meat, fish, milk, cheese, eggs, yogurt, soybean, etc. is helpful.
- Good iron intake will ensure an adequate supply of oxygen to hair and help promote good hair growth. So, iron-rich foods, such as green leafy vegetables, dates, etc. should be included in your diet.
- Certain vitamins help in maintaining iron content and iron absorption. So, your regular diet should include a good source of folic acid and vitamin B12, such as Eggs, Soya, Walnuts, and chickpeas.
- Vitamin E helps in an increased uptake of oxygen, thus helps in providing nourishment to the hair. Vitamin E rich foods include green leafy vegetables, nuts, grains, vegetable oils, etc. So, add these vitamin E food sources to your diet.
- Along with the proper diet, hydration is equally important to ensure a good supply of nutrients to the hair follicles. So, an adequate intake of water is also important.
- Along with a healthy diet, the application of Hair oil and massaging the scalp will help in stimulating the hair follicles to some extent. This will help in initiating the growth cycle of the hair follicles.
Our Experience In Treating Hair Fall At Life Force:
At Life Force, we have successfully treated thousands of cases of hair loss.
Dr. Rajesh Shah has a vast experience in treating cases of hair loss and Alopecia Areata. His research-based medicines have greatly helped various patients suffering from Alopecia areata and Hair loss.
Hair loss or Alopecia Areata can be controlled. However, baldness cannot be reverted.
The improvement in the recovery has been seen within 8 to 10 weeks. The amount of hair loss can be reduced significantly. The patients from all over the world have been benefited from the help of Life Force research-based medicines.
- Alopecia areata
- Female pattern baldness
- Male pattern baldness
- Tinea capitis